Sunday, April 11, 2010

In the relationships of today,

it's always about yourself - how much you're getting out of the relationship. Never once about what the other person is going through. If s/he isn't able to give you what you want, then tell him/her to bunk off. Of course, that would surely make it obvious that you prize your expectations more than the other's going-throughs.

I've seen enough to know that I'm right. It's because of this consumerist society that all of us are living in. You're not in love with the person, you're in love with the mould you've created before - the person only fleshes it out. In effect, you're loving a simulation of your own mind. When the person uneasily shifts from that mould, aha - that person is a disappointment, so we'll break up. Either party can acquiese. The disappointment that hits you - is not because of lost love of someone concrete, but because of you've lost someone to fulfil that ideal mould. So the next step is to find someone else to fit that mould. It doesn't matter if it's a guy or girl, young or old, as long as you can materialize your ideal mould.

I've seen enough everywhere to know that I'm right. If you're young and educated, chances are you're consumerist too. Like me, you'd choose to look up those who fit your ideal mould, strike up a conversation, and try to win her heart. When you decide to move away from your ideal mould and start keeping an open mind, the end-result seems to prove to you that any other possibility is doomed to failure - and your ideal is the best.

How do you love someone without having first involving your ideal? How do you ask someone to continue to engage you even when their expectations are broken? How do you keep it real - and not love through silly smses, facebook messages, emails and phone calls? When you realise that the other person doesn't love you, but the mould that you are being put into, is it then time to set both parties free? When the other person can only understand the world naively in terms of good and evil, do you allow the other to portray you as the bad person so that both of you can move on? Do you have a fighting chance?

What do you do when you become so jaded with people? I've seen enough people to know that this is the right conclusion. I'm quite tired with these living grids we're in. It suffocates me, my being, and everyday, it embraces me like a phlegmy towel around my body. I carry this disillusionment - because I have given up finding resolution so that someone else can. These are words in me that I want to say, argue, fight back and make the record straight, but I have no more energy to. It doesn't make any sense now, and it doesn't mean anything now to make things straight.

I can only find solace in the experience of others - at least, I'm not alone. These people whom I've met, they only confirm to me that yes, relationships are just a sign exchange. I derive signs from you to put on my jacket, while you derive signs from me to pin on your dress. It doesn't matter who the person is - as long as you can derive the signs that you want to consume.

Like you in the back there, 2 seats from me - who tried to use me as a convenience friend once way back, I have no hard feelings. But don't you think I am so much more than that small portion of what you thought fit into the mould of your ex?

That's why anyone these days in this society who's jilted will feel jealous of any other couple. For the sole reason that they are blatantly consuming the signs that you can't consume. The grapes that were so near suddenly become yanked from you. You in the front row, you there in the back row, and you there with your legs crossed, and you there with your pretty makeup face and trashy fashion - all of you are guilty.

I've seen too many people to know that I'm right. Sorry folks.

No comments: