Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Rejection Letter (a poem)

Hiya.



It's been a while since the last incident
after the long long time since we last spoke
I think you're probably still thinking that
the two of us.... aww nvm.

Isn't it amazing how we've come so far
from the rusty slides and the crummy see-saws
the creaking monkey bars and the abandoned
playground

below our crumbling pale grey flats
where the old mango tree hangs its fruits
We'd throw with concrete from the nearby site
against the ever-growing glass towers
and the numerous smooth pavements that cut

our paths to school where I'll just like die
under my heavy school bags while you'd breeze along
your torn-and-sewn polyester bag where your pride
and your excuse to relieve me lay
all through our velcro strap-ons to white converse sneakers

I've known you've always held a torch
in the nights we walked home after dance
But Saturdays you've always had part-time
And my Sundays are for church and shopping
You could've styled your hair a little nicer too.

I chased the paper harder than you did
And Dad finally moved us into Serangoon Gardens
I never understood why you could never catch up
Only clues are those bruises and heavy sleepy eyes
And an attendance rate of 34 over 95

Vaguely remember that you were cold and lonely
in a world that didn't appreciate your Singlish and Hokkien
But hey I'm busy and I've got problems too you know
like darn chemistry equations and stupid project work
and moolah for the Agnes b. sale coming in two weeks

I can't help it if we are drifting apart.
I'm flying so high now and the last thing I need
is for you to remind me of my rotten past
where the present is bleak and the future a luxury
Let's just say I've moved on; you stayed behind

You could have been the son of a rich man
or even a stylish trendsetter amidst
the swirling colourful neon and pulsing music
But what exactly I'd loathe to share
are the shackles around your feet and wings.

I'm no longer the person you threw stones
or played catching lizards with
There are so many possibilities overseas
more than you can ever imagine
Let's just say it's all my fault, it's not yours
I'm sure you will find a nice girl
to do your chores and take care of the house



I'm sorry but can I ask you not to bother me anymore?

No comments: