Wednesday, May 19, 2010

just a figment of my imagination

Some people are meant to do great things and realise that they are supposed to do so from a great young age. But clearly I'm not. But wanting to at least achieve a decent level of proficiency I thought it was only cool to approach the divine for inspiration and guidance.

I climbed the marshmellow stairs up and passed the cloud barriers and saw the bright of day shining before me. I took a step forward and saw Mr Leach.

"Sir, can you tell me how might I work to achieve good rhythm timing and bounce?"

He glanced up from his sawdust-y table and scratched his gray hair with his powdery fingers. "Seriously, I have not the faintest clue! I'm not really that good with these things... I only listen! But I would imagine you would need at the very least stamina and a good ear... Now I think you can go downstairs and ask Grant how he does it. I think he'd have a better answer!"

And so i walked down the marshmellow staircase, down on to concrete ground, opened the black manhole and walked down some slippery sticky steps into darkness.

Suddenly I heard a spark and a immense sonic boom behind me. The steps roared with yellow-red flames that licked the orange sky that was the ceiling. I was trapped!

The terrain was rugged and scorching. I saw Grant pushing himself up and down against the burning ground with only his thumbs and index + middle fingers.

"Erm excuse me sir, My apologies for disturbing but Mr Leach sent me down here to for advice as to getting rhythm timing and bounce,"

For a while I thought he was going to ignore my existence and leave me stranded for all of eternity. But then he slid into a kneeling position and clasped his hands together. Then he got up and disappeared behind some caves. I followed him and faced his red arms cradling a blackish-red X-series. Without a word, he started to play and the whole of the land reverbed with his rhythm.

After that I thought it was about time to leave. "Eh Sir, thank you for your demonstration today. Could you let me out now?"

He held out his nail-less fingers and dropped a super-small plectrum onto my hands. It felt kinda warm on my skin, though it left no mark whatsoever. I took out a bundle that I previously prepared and unwrapped the cloth napkin.

"This is a token of appreciation from me," I said as I uncovered the box of chocolate muffins and placed them on a rock nearby.

Thereafter I walked up the dry stairs by this time and out of the manhole. After that I found the marshmellow trail and climbed up the stairs.

"So, what have u learnt from Grant downstairs?" Mr Leach put down his drill-saw and dusted his hands on his apron.

I told him that I thought he was a freakin' awesome player but a lousy listener. After all he never realised the muffins I gave him.

"Ah, but that's to be expected! Here, have a seat and give me a minute."

By heavens a minute feels like a passing of eternity. Finally he came out behind the brass door and handed me a hardcase.

"I made this just for you! Seeing that you're mild and much unhumourous person I didn't quite think you'd like one that was too bright. Likewise you have hot stuff in your underbelly, so I thought this suits you best,"

I asked him if he would listen to my playing and help me improve.

"Why of course! That's what you're here for isn't it?"

No comments: